Archives for November 2016
EncanterraÂ® | Refresh Floor Plan with Pre-Paid Solar System
Gorgeous Phoenix Home with South Mountain Golf Course Views
2016 Holiday Event Guide
Las Noches de la Luminarias 2016
November 25, 2016 – December 31, 2016
“Eight thousand hand-lit luminaria bags and thousands of white twinkle lights will set the Garden aglow this winter for 21 magical evenings. Join us for this Southwest holiday tradition that features the sights and sounds of nine entertainment ensembles, including the return of Simply Three. Enjoy dinner at the Garden with family and friends and stroll the paths with a warm cup of cider or cocoa, as you celebrate the season at this yearâ€™s very special Las Noches de las Luminaries.” Visit the Desert Botanical Garden’s website for more info.
Mesa Temple Gardens Christmas Lights
November 25, 2016 – December 31, 2016
“Join us in a celebration of the birth of Christ at the Mesa Arizona Temple Gardens this Christmas Season. As you thrill to the sights and sounds of the holidays, we hope that you, your family and friends will enjoy: hundreds of thousands of colorful lights; uniquely illuminated palm trees and flower gardens; an inspiring nativity scene; a display of Mary and Joseph on their way to Bethlehem; recorded messages in English and Spanish and a modern Visitorsâ€™ Center open to all. This spectacular annual display, provided by volunteers, is free of charge each evening of the holiday season.â€ Visit the event’s website for more info.
Fantasy of Lights Opening Night Parade
November 26, 2016 | 6-9pm
“The Fantasy of Lights Opening Night Parade and Boat Parade have become family traditions in Downtown Tempe. For over 20 years the Fantasy of Lights Opening Night Parade kicks off the holiday season in downtown Tempe. This festive event brings over 35,000 people to downtown to enjoy the parade, tree lighting ceremony, and a visit with Santa.” Visit Downtown Tempe’s website for more info.
CitySkate Holiday Ice Rink
November 25, 2016 – January 8, 2017
“Phoenix’s only real outdoor ice rink returns to CityScape in the heart of downtown Phoenix.” Visit the event’s website for more info.
November 23, 2016 – January 8, 2017
“Join the Phoenix Zoo at the Valleyâ€™s brightest holiday tradition: ZooLights presented by SRP! Celebrating 25 years, ZooLights shines with millions of lights, a three-story-high holiday tree, hundreds of glimmering light displays and lakeside music-in-motion shows.” Visit the Phoenix Zoo’s website for more info.
â€‹Gingerbread Pear Loaf Recipe by Frank and Kit P. on Elysian Pass
Makes 2 (8 Â½ â€œ x 4 1/2 â€œ)
With their elegant tapering necks and firm texture, whole Bosc pears baked into this rustic loaf elevate its look and taste.
5 (12 oz) bottles ginger beer*
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
8 cardamom pods
6 firm Bosc pears, peeled
In large Dutch oven, combine ginger beer, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until reduced by half, about 1 hour and10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand for 15 minutes. In a large bowl, place pears. Pour syrup over pears. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
Â¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 Â½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
Â½ cup unsulphured molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Â½ cups all-purpose flour
2 Â½ teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Â½ teaspoon kosher salt
Â½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Â¼ teaspoon ground cloves
Â½ teaspoon ground allspice
Â½ cup whole milk
Â½ cup sour cream
3 tbsp ginger sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 2 (8 Â½â€ x 4 Â½â€) loaf pans with baking spray with flour
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in molasses and vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves and allspice. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in sour cream. Spread batter evenly into prepared pans.
4. Strain pear mixture, discarding excess fluid. Place 3 pears, stems up, in each prepared pan. (Gently place pears Â¼ â€œ into batter so pears do not sink to bottom.) Sprinkle with ginger sugar.
5. Bake for 10 minutes. Gently pull pears by stems to ensure they remain upright during remainder of baking time. Continue baking until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
Featured Member Club at EncanterraÂ®: The Friendly Stitchers
The Friendly Stitchers of EncanterraÂ® is a quilting and sewing group that started in the Spring of 2014. They have grown from the original four ladies to thirty-one members. Originally the group encompassed all needle arts, but after the first year some of the ladies decided to break away and form their own group, called the Cactus Needlers, to practice the more mobile hand needle arts, such as knitting, crocheting, cross-stitch, and needlepoint. With many shared members, the two clubs consider themselves to be â€œsisterâ€ organizations.
The Friendly Stitchers have just completed a monumental service project in conjunction with the current Veteranâ€™s Club project to benefit the local Veteranâ€™s Home. The Stitchers made 170 patriotic pillowcases for the Veteranâ€™s Home to accompany the Christmas gifts.